The benefits of dry brushing
Have you heard about dry body brushing? If you haven’t, we know what you’re thinking… ouch! But using a body brush (wet or dry) has a ton of health benefits. Body brushing helps remove dead skin cells from the surface and also works deep within the skin’s layers to boost circulation by stimulating blood flow. It relieves stress, flushes your lymphatic system of toxins and improves the skin’s overall appearance.
Here’s how to do it:
- Using a long handle body brush (such as the Kyshen Natural Body Brush) brush your entire body from head to toe.
- Brush using short, firm strokes towards your heart. The heart is the central point in body brushing. Go up the legs and arms, up the back and then down from the neck and shoulders. Brush in a circular motion on your stomach. You can also use circular motions on the breast, shoulder, armpit, thigh and knee.
- Repeat the process over your entire body two or three times.
Benefits of Body Brushing:
1. Helps improve circulation
Dry brushing stimulates your circulation which gets the blood flowing and takes stress off of your entire body.
2. Exfoliates dead skin cells
Body brushing helps to remove dead skin cells from the surface of the skin, revealing fresh cells beneath (much like using a Konjac sponge). It also unclogs your pores and improves your skin’s appearance. By removing flaky skin cells to reveal fresh cells beneath, your skin will look and feel softer, smoother and more radiant.
3. Stimulates the lymphatic system
Dry brushing is a form of massage that stimulates your lymphatic system. The lymphatic system consists of vessels beneath your skin that help your body detoxify by carrying cellular waste into the bloodstream for elimination. This is called lymphatic drainage. Let’s compare it to a blocked sink. When a sink isn’t draining properly, waste can build up and get pretty gross (just sayin’). When waste and toxins build up in your body, it can cause illness. Body brushing is a powerful and simple way to stimulate the system and allow detoxification. By providing your lymphatic system with “a good clean”, you rid your body of toxins and uncover healthier looking skin.
4. Helps reduce the appearance of cellulite
Dry brushing helps soften fatty deposits and release them, reducing the appearance of cellulite. Devotees of dry brushing claim that their skin looks healthier and more radiant when they dry brush on a regular basis.
5. Relieves stress
Your dry brushing routine is the perfect opportunity to pamper yourself with a daily massage. Take the time to enjoy some peace and quiet and turn the ritual into a time for reflection or meditation. This ME time can help ease tension, calm the mind, soothe the spirit and relieve stress. Sounds like a pretty good way to start the day to us!
- The best time to dry brush is before you shower. After body brushing you’ll want to wash off dead skin cells and give the body brush a rinse.
- Remember that all brush strokes should lead to the heart.
- Experts recommend dry brushing in the morning because it is energizing.
- Use firm, small strokes.
- Do your entire body, including the soles of your feet, brushing upward towards your heart.
- Use circular motions on your stomach.
- Dry brushing is beneficial to both men and women. It takes very little time and is easy to incorporate into a daily routine.
- Always follow body brushing with Kyshen Natural Nourishing Body Lotion to replenish moisture.
- Think of dry brushing as an Inexpensive way to treat yourself to an invigorating body treatment in the comfort of your own home.
- Be firm but gentle—don’t press so hard that you scratch yourself. Your skin should be pale pink afterwards, not red.
- Avoid irritated, sunburned or sore areas.
As you begin to incorporate body brushing into your routine (it takes just 5 minutes a day), you should start seeing results. Die-hard “brushers” claim that they notice improvements in a short amount of time.
What do you have to lose? Grab yourself a Kyshen Natural Body Brush and give dry brushing a try. We’d love to hear your comments once you do!